|Designer(s)||Herb Lubalin, Tom Carnase|
|Foundry||International Typeface Corporation|
ITC Avant Garde Gothic is a font family based on the logo font used in the Avant Garde magazine. Herb Lubalin devised the logo concept and its companion headline typeface, and then he and Tom Carnase, a partner in Lubalin's design firm, worked together to transform the idea into a full-fledged typeface.
Download ITC Avant Garde Gothic Std Demi, font family ITC Avant Garde Gothic Std by with Demi weight and style, download file name is ITCAvantGardeStd-Demi.otf. Test Avant Garde Gothic ITC font family now Use this extremely handy tool to test the font appearance for free. Enter you text or numbers into a panel below.
Itc Avant-garde Free Font
ITC Avant Garde Gothic is a font family based on the logo font used in the Avant Garde magazine. Herb Lubalin devised the logo concept and its companion headline typeface, and then he and Tom Carnase, a partner in Lubalin's design firm, worked together to transform the idea into a full-fledged typeface. AvantGarde Normal Book ITC Avant Garde Gothic Book, Geometric 711 Avant Garde Normal mfgpctt-v1. 52 Tuesday, January 12, 1993 3:55:26 pm (EST) AvantGardeITCbyBT-Book.
The condensed fonts were drawn by Ed Benguiat in 1974, and the obliques were designed by André Gürtler [de], Erich Gschwind and Christian Mengelt [de] in 1977.
ITC Avant Garde Gothic. Inspired by the 1920s German Bauhaus movement, ITC Avant Garde Gothic was designed by Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase in 1970. The typeface design was based off the logo Lubalin created for Avant Garde magazine.
The original designs include one version for setting headlines and one for text copy. However, in the initial digitization, only the text design was chosen, and the ligatures and alternate characters were not included.
The font family consists of five weights (four for condensed), with complementary obliques for widest width fonts.
When ITC released the OpenType version of the font, the original 33 alternate characters and ligatures, plus extra characters were included.
Elsner+Flake also issued the ligatures and alternate characters separately as Avant Garde Gothic Alternate.
- 2Digital versions
Cold Type versions
ITC Avant Garde was never cast into actual foundry type, appearing first only in cold type. Alphatype, Autologic, Berthold, Compugraphic, Dymo, Star/Photon, Harris, Mergenthaler, MGD Graphic Systems, and Varityper all sold the face under the name Avant Garde, while Graphic Systems Inc. offered the face as Suave.
ITC Avant Garde Gothic Pro
It is an OpenType variant of the original ITC Avant Garde Gothic, plus a suite of additional cap and lowercase alternates, new ligatures, unicase glyphs. It supports ISO Adobe 2, Adobe CE, Latin Extended character sets.
In addition, the obliques are altered from the original, where optical corrections are no longer used.
ITC Avant Garde Mono
It is a monospaced version designed by Ned Bunnel in 1983.
Digital version was produced by Elsner+Flake. The family consists of 4 fonts in 2 weights (bold and light) in 1 width, with complementary italics.
William Sans LET
William Sans LET is a very similar font, but the 'regular' typeface is known as 'Plain 1.0'.
ITC Lubalin Graph is a slab-serif version of ITC Avant Garde, also designed by Lubalin.
Master of None
The Netflix TV series, Master of None, famously used the font for its title cards. The title itself uses ITC Avant Garde Gothic with alternatives.
The video games, one through three, use the font for its menus. In the first game, the alternative characters are mainly used.
Defected Records uses the ITC Avant Garde Bold font for their Logos and Posters.
Used in the show's title sequence for the actors' and actresses' names fading in and out.
Royal Air Force logo uses Avant Garde typeface with alternatives until 2014.
- URW Gothic L is a similar font with identical metrics, intended for use as a replacement for ITC Avant Garde in the PostScript Base 35 fonts for the Ghostscript program. The font has since been released under free and open source terms.
- TeX Gyre Adventor is an open-source extension of the above font adding many new characters, and special alternate glyphs.
- ^Lawson, Alexander, Archie Provan, and Frank Romano, Primer Metal Typeface Identification,National Composition Association, Arlington, Virginia, 1976, pp. 34 - 35.
- ^Ain't What ITC Used to Be
- ^ITC Lubalin Graph Font Family - by Herb Lubalin, Ed Benguiat
- ^'Master of None Logo?? - forum dafont.com'. www.dafont.com. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- ^'Rock Band Fonts — Harmonix Forums'. forums.harmonixmusic.com. Retrieved 2018-12-30.
- ^'Rock Band Credits Part 1'. Retrieved 2018-12-30.
- ^'Fonts Logo » Defected Logo Font'. fontslogo.com. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- ^'Font ?! - forum dafont.com'. www.dafont.com. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- ^'YOU ARE DEFECTED - forum dafont.com'. www.dafont.com. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ITC Avant Garde.|
- ITC Avant Garde Gothic Font Family - by Herb Lubalin, Tom Carnase (renewed reference)
- ITC Avant Garde Mono - now a suspended page